Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney (City of Alexandria, Virginia)
Population: 160,505 | Number of Full-Time Prosecutors: 14 | Contact Information
In the summer of 2020, the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office initiated plans for a community advisory board by seeking applications online from constituents. As a relatively small office, much of the recruitment for the board was handled directly by the office’s elected prosecutor, Bryan Porter. Members were selected by Porter, who based his selections on a variety of factors including the applicant’s reason for applying, the applicant’s background, and the area in which the applicant lives.
The board meets once a quarter and focuses on educating citizens on the criminal justice system, discussing community concerns, and getting feedback on proposed legislation.
WATCH Commonwealth’s Attorney, Bryan Porter, discuss the formation of their Community Advisory Board.
- Alternatives to Sentencing/Post-Filing Diversion
- Community Collaboration
- Conviction Review
- Did you Know?
- Family Violence Crime Strategies
- General Crime Strategies
- Gun Crime Strategies
- Implicit Bias/Racial and Ethnic Inequity
- Innovations Blog
- IPS Grant
- Juvenile Strategies
- Narcotics Crime Strategies
- Office-Wide Reform Strategies
- PCE News
- PCE Publications
- Pre-Filing Diversion
- Procedural Reform/Bail/Sealing
- Related Materials
- Sex Crime/Human Trafficking Strategies
- Victim Services and Assistance Programs
- Violence Investigation/Reduction Strategies